1 nocturnal mouselike mammal with forelimbs modified to form membranous wings and anatomical adaptations for echolocation by which they navigate [syn: chiropteran]
2 (baseball) a turn batting; "he was at bat when it happened"; "he got 4 hits in 4 at-bats" [syn: at-bat]
4 a bat used in playing cricket [syn: cricket bat]
5 a club used for hitting a ball in various games
1 strike with, or as if with a baseball bat; "bat the ball"
2 wink briefly; "bat one's eyelids" [syn: flutter]
3 have a turn at bat; "Jones bats first, followed by Martinez"
4 use a bat; "Who's batting?"
5 beat thoroughly in a competition or fight; "We licked the other team on Sunday!" [syn: clobber, drub, thrash, lick] [also: batting, batted]batting
1 (baseball) the batter's attempt to get on base
- Rhymes: -ætɪŋ
- cotton, wool, silk or synthetic material used to stuff the inside of a mattress, quilt etc
- special cotton for surgery.
- the act of someone who bats
- present participle of bat
Batting may refer to:
- Batting (baseball), the act of attempting to hit a ball thrown by the pitcher with a baseball bat, in order to score runs
- Batting (cricket), the act of defending one's wicket with the cricket bat while attempting to score runs
- Batting (material), a layer of insulation between a top layer of patchwork and a layer of backing material in quilting (see Patchwork quilt)